From Hampshire Constabulary:
I am writing to make you aware of Operation Liberal launched by Hampshire Constabulary.
Operation Liberal is an initiative to tackle distraction burglary offences and rogue traders, by catching and deterring offenders and offering advice to residents on how to avoid becoming a victim of door step crime. We have also responded to several calls this week regarding cold callers, and have taken details of individuals doing so. We are offering the following advice to you to prevent these types of crimes:
- LOCK STOP CHAIN and CHECK – Always use a door chain when answering the door, if you are not sure do not open the door.
- Always check the credentials of unknown callers. Do not phone the number on the ID card, use a phone book or a bill.
- Never employ cold-calling doorstep traders or engage with cold callers on the phone.
- Do not keep substantial sums of money in the home.
- Do not allow cold callers across the threshold into your property.
- Be mindful if cold callers are keeping you talking at the front door an accomplice may be trying to enter at the rear of your property.
- Always keep front and back doors locked.
- Consider joining or setting up a No Cold Calling Zone or Neighbourhood Watch scheme.
- Report any suspicious callers or activity to the police immediately.
- Keep an eye on elderly or vulnerable neighbours, friends and family.
PCSO 15486 GUY